Saturday, October 4, 2014

Get On Board the International Creative Blog Hop!!!

Welcome to the International Creative Blog Hop everybody! I have been invited to participate in this hop by my friend Yasmin Sabur, who is an incredible textile artist. Thanks so much Yasmin!

We have all been asked to answer 4 questions regarding our creative process. So here goes...

1) What am I working on?
Lots of fun projects! If you have been following my blog you know that I do a lot of different projects, from art to jewelry to design and crafty projects. Currently I am working on a line of jewelry called Doodlery. 

Jewelry that starts with a doodle...


I am also working on an article for Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist Magazine. So stay tuned for details on that.
And, I am always adding to, and sprucing up my new Etsy shop.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Hmmmm, that's a kinda tough question. I hope that my work differs because of the way I use far out material combinations, colors, and designs, but do so in a very refined and technically proficient way. Does that make sense? The juxtaposition of wildness and refinement.


3.) Why do I do what I do?

Honestly, I have no choice. It might sound cliche, but being creative is my life, my blood, my breath, my everything...(sappy, I know!)

 4.) How does my writing/working process work?

It really depends on what I am working on. At this point I am pretty much making something everyday, or if I am traveling I draw in my sketchbook. For the most part, I tend to work on multiple pieces at once. For the Doodlery pieces I am working in batches of 5. In the beginning of a new piece/project, I get  really excited about it, to the point where it's actually stressful because I just can't wait to see how they will turn out, but I know how many steps there are between the beginning and the completed piece. I work hard, focused and fast, for roughly 85% of the piece, then I chill out, and the momentum tapers off. The last 15% can be less exciting, the steps towards the end are less creative and fun, they are more technical, less free. 


A blast from the past.  I thought this piece would get the better of me. I got 90% done, then became frozen with fear of ruining it all. It was majorly stressful.

 I would say that this description about my process could be applied to most of what I am doing, be it writing, or designing, or making. Once I am nearing completion, there is usually another project on my mind, that really wants to get out of my mind, making it harder to focus on the piece at hand. 

I think and write a lot about being pulled in many directions, but I would definitely rather have too many ideas than not enough, so I am grateful for this...

And, I am grateful to Yasmin for including me in this hop.  Check out her awesome clothes and textiles at:






Next week I pass the blog hop torch along to 2 other amazing artists. On Wednesday I will announce who they will be, so stay tuned...
xo





No comments:

Post a Comment